The context of art denotes, in a sense, the pursuit of humanistic concerns as within modes of expression defined through political community. This analysis considers the internationalist approach focusing on those Hindu inspired movements that formed a type as a template for various tokens to develop in the various new religious movements. The overview takes only a small section that I have personally encountered in greater and lesser degrees of participation since 1984.
- reformist Hindu movements
- have a strong international following, as within Osho commune
- Affiliated with United Nations as do the Brahma Kumaris
- advocate forms of ego transcendence through meditation, as a methodology of Ramana
- art in a liberal sense of free expression to integrate personal identity over time. as Aurobindo
Modes of artistic activity
- through virtue ethical training discourses.
- creating psychotherapy treatments to express repressed states.
- semantic maps for self awareness based on spiritual monism.
- liberation theology through supra mental schema.
Neo transcendentalism through art
A feature most prominent in the groups I encountered from 1984 up to 2018 is a commitment to transcend the standard ways of thinking and perceiving a person. I explore this notion in the article A sculptural odyssey. This is where the idea of a soul as the animate feature of the human animal takes on ascriptive resemblances to a stone sculpture. The act of sculpting the icon gives the inanimate stone a animate soul like property through name and form. What is new about this in a modern capitalist phase of industrial production is the art as a mode of production that also acts as a humanistic pursuit for transcendence from the animate into the icon’s vision.